Essential Oil Play Dough
My boys love play dough! They’d play with it all day every day if they could.
Then one day it hit me! I needed to slap my essential oils on that play dough. Or rather make a batch and incorporate it in. Not only would this be super awesome because it would smell good to me, it makes the play dough engage more of the senses as my kids play AND as a bonus they get all the goodness of essential oils while they plays! Win – win!
Making the dough is super simple and the oils incorporate perfectly into the recipe. I used peppermint, citrus fresh, lemon, lime, thieves, and lavender for my play dough. You can use any oil you choose, but make sure to refer to the manufacturer’s instructions to make sure that it is safe for your age child.
To start, mix the flour, salt, and cream of tarter in a large bowl. Combine the essential oil of choice with the vegetable oil and stir into the dry ingredients. Bring your water to a boil. Add any food coloring to the water and then add about 1 cup of the water, stir and slowly add the remaining water until the play dough reaches the perfect consistency and then knead the dough until smooth. Store your dough in a ziploc bag or air tight container.
Essential Oil Play Dough Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10-12 drops essential oil (more or less may be needed depending on the oil you choose)
- 1.5 cups boiling water
- food coloring – optional
- Mix the flour, salt, and cream of tarter together in a large bowl.
- Combine your essential oil with the vegetable oil and mix into the dry ingredients.
- Boil the water and add food coloring directly to water.
- Pour 1 cup of your boiling water into the mixture and stir, adding the additional 1/2 cup slowly until desired consistency is reached.
- Knead for 3-5 minutes or until dough is smooth and perfectly squishy for play.