Intuitive Eating: Feel Your Fullness
THIS WEEK I AM TALKING ABOUT INTUITIVE EATING PRINCIPLE #5, FEEL YOUR FULLNESS.
When I think back to when I began this journey in 2015, I remember my health coach telling me that I had no hunger cues. I’d lost my mind/body connection after years of being a yo-yo dieter and binge eater.
When I began charting my hunger, it was interesting to me how I perceived it… I found myself hungry or uncomfortably full, there was no middle ground.
It has taken me years to find a place that I know when I am satisfied and when I am respecting my body and what it needs at that given time. There are times when I CHOOSE to allow myself more to eat, knowing I will feel full, sometimes overfull. Yes, this is ok and it will happen! I bought into the lie that we should never make that choice to overeat.
THE PRINCIPLE: FEEL YOUR FULLNESS
Listen for the body signals that tell you that you are no longer hungry. Observe the signs that show that you’re comfortably full. Pause in the middle of eating and ask yourself how the food tastes, and what your current hunger level is.
Remember, there is no failing in Intuitive Eating! At times, we eat beyond fullness. At times, we engage in distracted eating. This principle is about connecting more deeply with your body’s signals, not about perfection.
- I invite you to inventory when you most often engage in distracted eating. Do you eat while watching tv, scrolling through IG, reading a book, or driving? How do these activities interfere with your ability to be present & connect with your body to feel your fullness?
- Plan a time to enjoy a meal in an optimal environment. The idea is to create a space that is pleasant & free from distraction (to the degree it’s possible). I encourage you to turn off electronics, eat while sitting down. This is a powerful way to reconnect with your body— it’s sacred time.
- Pause in the middle of your meal & check in: What’s your taste experience? Are you hunger cues starting to fade? Are slight signs of fullness beginning to emerge? Continue eating until you feel comfortably full. What sensations do you feel in your body?
- If sitting for an entire meal without distractions is nearly impossible—try my 3 bite check-in. Upon the 1st bite, just note how you feel overall: pleasant, unpleasant, or neutral? In the midst of the meal, pause for the 2nd bite—how’s the taste and is there any emerging fullness? Upon your last bite of food, rate your fullness—is it pleasant, unpleasant, or neutral?
Bonus practice: Try eating a meal with your non-dominant hand. This exercise immediately disrupts our habits, forcing us to pay closer attention.
Keep in mind, that In the beginning—feeling our fullness requires practice, patience, & intention.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE OTHER INTUITIVE EATING PRINCIPLES, FOLLOW THE LINKS BELOW TO LEARN MORE!
10 PRINCIPLES OF INTUITIVE EATING
- Reject the Diet Mentality
- Honor your Hunger
- Make Peace with Food
- Challenge the Food Police
- Feel your Fullness
- Discover the Satisfaction Factor
- Cope with your Emotions without Using Food
- Respect your Body
- Exercise-Feel the Difference
- Honor Your Health- Gentle Nutrition