Simple Ways to Cope When You Go Sugar Free
Here are a few of the best ways to reduce sugar cravings and make eliminating sugar a piece of sugar-free cake!
- Licorice tea after meals – Naturally sweet, helps balance blood sugar, and it’s great for digestion.
- Strength in substitutions – Swap bread with slices of roasted sweet potato, pudding with chia and coconut milk, bananas with high fiber berries etc.
- Eat plenty of protein and fat – If your body’s been running off sugar for awhile you need to give it a new fuel source to draw from. High-quality protein and saturated fats like coconut oil and ghee are great for stabilizing blood sugar levels and providing a valuable energy source.
- Embrace fibre – Eat plenty of fiber to stabilize your blood sugar levels. Greens, raw vegetables, berries, hemp seeds, flax seeds etc. are all great sources of healthy fibre.
- Make your water exciting – If you’re used to sugary drinks, try making your water more fun. I like to add sliced cucumber, lemon, orange, grapefruit, strawberry, blueberry, or make a strong tea and drink that over ice.
- My fave supplements for curbing sugar cravings – When my sugar cravings are really coming on strong I like to take one of the following supplements: chromium picolinate, l-glutamine, 5-HTP, or inulin extract.
- Make your own chocolate – Chocolate is comforting and has lots of healthy qualities. It’s easy to make your own with raw cacao powder, coconut oil, and stevia or xylitol for a natural sweetener. Check out this recipe for inspiration.
Want even more great tips to help you lose weight, improve your digestion, increase your energy and end your sugar addiction once and for all?
Check out my new 6-week Sweet Success program details here
Or join me in my Facebook group, Sisterhood of Healthy Living, where I’ll be sharing more information, tips and recipes to help you live a happier, healthier life.
To your wellness,