Site Navigation

How to Silence the Negative Thoughts

Nothing can ruin our day faster than those negative thoughts that are lurking in our minds.  At every turn, you get burned.  Learn how to silence those negative thoughts and be rescued from yourself.

Did you know that only 5% of your thoughts come from your subconscious mind? That leaves 95% for the subconscious mind.  When you have between 50,000-70,000 thoughts per day, that’s a lot of thoughts for us not to have control over.

Our thoughts are powerful!  They shape our mindset and our actions.  So if you tend to be a “glass half empty” person, like me, you might want to improve your negative thinking.  That’s what I’ve been working on and today I’m going to share with you a mindset practice I use that really helps me turn the negative into positive.

According to an article in Psychology today, a group of business students demonstrated that of their subconscious thoughts, 70-80% of them were of a negative tone.  What is even more interesting, they thought they there were thinking positively 60% of the time. Our subconscious can override what you think you’re thinking!

So when we get to a place where those negative thoughts are coming through….

“What were you thinking?”
“You’re doing it all wrong!”
“You’re such a failure.”

… We can take back control of our thoughts.  How?

Know Your Thoughts To Change Your Thoughts

1.) Write Your Thoughts and Take Inventory

I have a little challenge for you.  Over the next three days, write down your thoughts.  It doesn’t have to be every thought (Hello!  We have 39-49 thoughts per minute, so clearly we don’t have time for that).  Focus on the negative thoughts that come out throughout your day.

Day 1:  Simply write down the negative thoughts you have.

Day 2:  You’ll take it up a notch and write down the thought AND the situation.

Day 3: Write down the thought, the situation and your reaction.

Why do I want you to write this down?  When we put pen to paper,it becomes more ingrained in our subconscious.  The subconscious is where our habits and behaviors lie.

2.) Assess Your Thoughts

After three days, it’s time to assess your thinking.  Simply go back through your thought journal over the past three days and simply put a + (positive) or – (negative) symbol next to your thoughts.  Look for any patterns.  Were there any triggers?

3.) Create Thoughts That Impact You

The third step can be a little more difficult.  After doing the first two steps, you’ll start to recognize when those negative thoughts start to come in (you know because you wrote them down and assessed them).  Now it’s time to replace them with a positive thought instead, but it must have an impact on you.  I could give you a list of affirmations, but that won’t have the personal impact it needs to help you make a change.  It has to resonate with you.

So this becomes a full on writing/journaling activity. Like I mentioned above, once we start to put pen to paper it will start to become ingrained in our subconscious and that’s when our habits, behaviors and thoughts will start to change.  But you have to be willing to put in the work.

I’m not perfect.  Far from it, but I’m working on improving my mindset all the time.

Comments

comments

© 2018 Fit and Fabulous with Tiffany, LLC. All rights reserved